Sunday, November 8, 2015

Let it snow...

I've had the block printing bug again lately, and everything seems to be Christmas-themed. I'll be posting about all of them, but first up is this little snow globe.

There are snow globes of all kinds and price ranges, but I love the little vintage "dimestore" plastic ones.


I drew this one as a tiny 2.5" sketch one day, and couldn't get it out of my head, and it became this 3-color print, starting with this larger sketch to set up the registration marks for the different colored blocks.


I ended up re-carving the red block after a flaw showed up in the printing (as you can see in some of the prints above. ) So, several runs later, I had a number of acceptable ones. But with the amazing accuracy of today's scanners and printers, I can now use the image on cards and other prints, and it is hard to tell the original (bottom) from the inkjet (top):

Here is the progression of the printing...I love seeing the layers build upon one another:





...let it snow!

(Well, here in Northern California, we'd be happy with some rain!)

4 comments:

  1. All of your work is utterly gorgeous. It's always a treat to see your creations and I'm sure anyone who receives a card will be thrilled with it. I don't think I've ever had a persimmon. Does it taste as good as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! It's been a long time since my print-making days. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete