Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Orchids: Beautiful symmetry

Prismacolor colored pencils on Stonehenge paper
3.5" x 4" (2x actual size of bloom)

I have an obsession with symmetry, especially radial symmetry, in nature. (Click here for some of my other posts on that subject.) So, while orchids, arranged along their graceful stem, make a lovely artistic composition, I like to examine their beautiful symmetrical structure. When my friend gave me this planter as a gift recently, I immediately said, "I'll have to draw these!"


I spent quite a while looking at online photos of the thousands of types of orchids; some of them are truly spectacular. This one (as close as I could tell) is a miniature hybrid phalaenopsis sogo gotris. As you can see in the photos, it's smaller than the other one in the pot; which I plan to draw as well.


The petals looked creamy to me in the light at my drawing table, but  they look a bit more green in these photos; I might have to go back in and green them up a bit.

Orchid blooms look an awful lot like faces, don't they? Now, if I can just keep these little beauties alive...!

6 comments:

  1. OH! It is indeed beautiful-- regardless of the symmetry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauteous, but even so I love your s'mores even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime you want to bring this beauty to the office for R&R, I have a lovely spot for it :) Orchids love my office. Your colors are beautiful but I agree with Linda, I love your s'mores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might let you adopt this one; I have no luck with them!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, everyone! (S'mores win out over orchids with me, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. It is amazing how light effects everything isn't it? xo, N.G.

    ReplyDelete